Skip to main content
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Victorian Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 265 pictures in our Victorian collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


Bicycle (Velocipede or Boneshaker), Cornwall Works, Birmingham, England Featured Print

Bicycle (Velocipede or Boneshaker), Cornwall Works, Birmingham, England

In September 1870, this velocipede was ridden by Sir Richard Tangye from Truro to Newquay, bringing the news of the Battle of Sedan to the town. Tangye's Cornwall Works in Birmingham built large numbers of velocipedes, paying a royalty to the French Velocipede Company in order to make the bicycles. The five sons of Joseph Tangye senior, an Illogan miner, commenced their engineering and manufacturing business together in Birmingham in 1856. James (1825-1912), the eldest, was very skilled with the lathe; Joseph (1826-1902) was the creative engineer; Richard (1833-1906) dealt with public relations and sales; George (1835-1920) was the businessman; while Edward (1832-1909), a Quaker, soon left to found his own business. Velocipedes, also known as Boneshakers, due to their iron tyres, were one of the many things that were manufactured at the Cornwall Works. The business also provided the hydraulic rams required to launch the Great Eastern, Brunel's ill-fated steel ship in 1857-1858, and to raise Cleopatra's Needle to its present position on the London Embankment in 1878. The first direct-acting steam pumps in Europe were made at the Cornwall Works in 1867 and the firm produced James Tangye's horizontal steam engines from 1869. By 1876 the firm employed 1300 workers. The Tangyes were also philanthropists and from 1880 were founders and major benefactors of the Birmingham Art Gallery and Museum and the Birmingham School of Art. TRURI : 1937.34

© RIC, photographer Mike Searle

Bank Square, looking towards the Consolidated Bank of Cornwall and Chapel Street, St Just in Penwith, Cornwall. Early 1900s Featured Print

Bank Square, looking towards the Consolidated Bank of Cornwall and Chapel Street, St Just in Penwith, Cornwall. Early 1900s

A mixed group of people stop to pose for the photograph of Bank Square and Chapel Street. The signs in the bank window read Bolitho's Bank Limited, Hours 10 to 3 and Fridays 10 to 12. The shop on the corner of Chapel Street has advertisements for Venus Soap, Cadburys Chocolate and Cocoa displayed. Also a sign reading "Ponies & Dogcart On Hire. Terms Moderate." The sign on the house above the man with the bicycle reads "J. Stevens Grocer, Draper, Refreshments, ?" Another sign, partly obscured by the head of the same man, seems to read "Mr Johnstone Dental - ?" Photographer: Unknown

© From the collection of the RIC

Gwennap Pit, Busveal, Cornwall. 1910 Featured Print

Gwennap Pit, Busveal, Cornwall. 1910

A service at Gwennap Pit, an open air amphitheatre near Redruth made famous by John Wesley the founder of Methodism. John Wesley first visited Gwennap Pit on 5th September 1762. At this time it was described as a relic of mining activities in the area, with a rock face covered in vegetation by the 1760s. In 1766 Wesley described it as "a round green hollow gently shelving down" and as "a natural amphitheatre". In November 1806 a mining engineer Richard Michell of Gwennap and four mine Captains: John Martin, John Dennis, W. Davey and T. Trestrail met at Busveal and agreed to repair Gwennap Pit or rather reconstruct the amphitheatre in respect to and in memory of John Wesley who had died in 1791. Between 1762 and 1789 John Wesley preached at Gwennap Pit eighteen times. The amphitheatre has twelve staged rings top to bottom. It is claimed that walking around all twelve levels top to bottom is equal to one mile and that it can hold 1,500 people. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan

© From the collection of the RIC