sales@mediastorehouse.com
Framed Prints, Canvas Prints
Posters, Jigsaw Puzzles
 

Gwennap Pit, Busveal, Cornwall. Around 1900s

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

A service at Gwennap Pit. The photograph captures an excellent display of fashionable clothing worn for Sunday best. An open air amphitheatre near Redruth made famous by John Wesley the founder of Methodism, John Wesley first visited Gwennap Pit on 5th September 1762. At this time it was described as a relic of mining activities in the area, with a rock face covered in vegetation by the 1760s. In 1766 Wesley described it as "a round green hollow gently shelving down" and as "a natural amphitheatre". In November 1806 a mining engineer Richard Michell of Gwennap and four mine Captains: John Martin, John Dennis, W. Davey and T. Trestrail met at Busveal and agreed to repair Gwennap Pit or rather reconstruct the amphitheatre in respect to and in memory of John Wesley who had died in 1791. Between 1762 and 1789 John Wesley preached at Gwennap Pit eighteen times. The amphitheatre has twelve staged rings top to bottom. It is claimed that walking around all twelve levels top to bottom is equal to one mile and that it can hold 1, 500 people. Photographer: Arthur Philp.

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 13576681

Date: 23rd May 2017

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.2317

: TRURI : GWEgp.3

Image Size: 8389 x 6107 Pixels

Filesize is 11.66MB

Associated Categories: Gwennap Pit

Keywords: cornish, edwardian, methodist, service of worship