Skip to main content

Polruan, Lanteglos by Fowey, Cornwall. 1904

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

This view of Polruan was taken from the window of Fowey Hotel and shows the village on the hillside with the Fowey Estuary in the foreground. A small sailing boat is amongst the vessels on the river. The ruin of St Saviour's church, which dates to the 8th century, can be seen on the hill above Polruan. Clearly visible is the blockhouse fortification, built in the 14th century, that guards the entrance to the River Fowey. The blockhouse is one of a pair, it's partner being situated on the Fowey side of the river. A defensive chain was strung between the two blockhouses to prevent enemy ships entering the harbour, with the chain being lowered for friendly vessels. This was primarily used during the wars with the Dutch. Photographer: Herbert Hughes

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 15486594

Date: 29th September 2018

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.334372, -4.608357

: TRURI : LTFpn.1

Image Size: 8185 x 6140 Pixels

Filesize is 12.08MB

Associated Categories: Lanteglos by Fowey

Keywords: boats, cornish, fishing village, fortifications