[email protected]
Image Licensing since 2004
 

The chain gardens at Carclew House, Mylor, Cornwall. 15th March 1912

Please Select A License Option

Flat fee up to A2 size

Flat fee up to A2 size

^ Please refine your license choice

Other options available, please contact us for more details

Originally owned by the Bonython family, the house and estate were purchased by William Lemon (1696-1760) in 1749 who employed the architect Thomas Edwards to enlarge and modernise the house in the style of Palladio's Villa Ragona. The house was further extended by Sir William Lemon (1748-1824) in the early 19th century by architect William Wood. It was destroyed by fire in 1934 but one wing was restored in the late 1930s to house refugees. There are a few ruins preserved. Extensive gardens and park surrounded the house and the gardens were mostly preserved after destruction of the house. They were famous for rhododendrons and a rhododendron arboretum was planted by Sir Charles Lemon (1784-1868) in 1850. This view shows a formal garden with beds resembling chain links. Photographer: Arthur William Jordan.

Copyright © From the collection of the RIC

Media ID 18990588

Date: 14th May 2019

County: Cornwall

Location Name: 50.177118,-5.058071

: TRURI : MYLcc.14

Image Size: 7822 x 5688 Pixels

Filesize is 15.72MB

Associated Categories: Mylor

Keywords: architecture, cornish, estates, gardens, great houses, houses, important cornish families, landscaping, lost, palladian, truro