British War Medal, First World War 1914-1918
This medal was awarded to Lieutenant Colonel F. Call. It is one of 17 campaign medals awarded to members of the Call family, now in the museum collection. The medals date from the Peninsular War (1807-1814) to the Great War (1914-1918). The Call family served with the Royal Irish Regiment, which until 1881 was known as the 18th Regiment of Foot. It was also known as the 18th (Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot and the 18th (The Royal Irish) Regiment of Foot. The regiment was disbanded in 1922. The British War medal was a campaign medal of the United Kingdom awarded to officers and men of British and Imperial forces for service in the First World War. Designed by W. McMillan, this silver medal depicts the head of King George V with the inscription 'GEORGIVS V BRITT: OMN: REX ET IND: IMP:' (George 5th, King of all the Britons and Emperor of India). The reverse depicts a naked horseman, armed with a short sword and trampling on the eagle shield of the Central Powers. A skull and crossbones, representing death, are by the shield and the rising sun of Victory is positioned above the horse's head. The dates '1914' and '1918' are positioned to the left and right. The ribbon is coloured with a broad orange vertical stripe down the centre, bordered with white, black and blue stripes. TRURI : 1931.40.56
© RIC, photographer Mike Searle
View of Gwinear Road station looking west, Cornwall. Possibly at the opening of the Helston branch line on 9th May 1887
'This photograph was probably taken on 9th May 1887, the opening day of the Helston branch line. Every part of the railway infrastructure in view is in almost perfect condition, having been newly installed for the creation of the new junction station. The stone work to the platforms and the locking room has obviously only recently been laid. Even the staff are well turned out. The main line retains the mixed gauge, albeit relaid with cross-sleepered track, whilst the branch line bay has been laid in narrow gauge only. The bay continues beyond the station, to a buffer stop built against the newly cut back end of the original cutting side. The branch line engine is in attendance, almost certainly a 517 class 0-4-2T, complete with polished brass dome. The contrasting painting schemes of the Signal & Telegraph department, responsible for the signal box next to the crossing, and that of the station buildings are clearly evident. In particular the signal box windows sashes are white, whereas those on the station are darker, probably brown. The signal box barge boards are relatively dark when compared with the wall boarding, whilst those on the station appear considerably lighter. The signals are the standard G.W.R. type which was to survive for many years, although at this period only single red spectacle plates were fitted, "all right" being indicated simply by the white light" Information from: The Broad Gauge In Cornwall. M. Jolly & P. Garnsworthy. Gwinear Road station with a locomotive on the Helston branch line with her crew and members of the station staff. Advertising on the station includes 'The Angel Hotel, Helston', 'W & A Gilbey' and 'Moon & Sons'
© From the collection of the RIC
Redruth Railway Station, Cornwall, 1st March 1867
This well known photograph depicts the first broad gauge passenger train to arrive at Redruth from the west on 1st March 1867. It also shows that the station has been extended towards the goods shed, revealed by the change in chimney brickwork colour. The corrugated iron roof covering to the station is shown clearly, whilst the goods shed was slate covered. It's sliding doors have been drawn across against the March cold. The locomotive is "Lance", which was one of the first contract engines built in October 1851 by Longridge and Company of Bedlington, to Gooch's "Corsair" design. Inside frames started behind the motion plate. The wheel base was 5'0"+5' 1" + 7' 8" giving a total of 17' 9". The leading wheels were 3' 6" diameter and the driving wheels 5' 9". A relatively short tank of 800 gallons capacity rested on a boiler of 4' 5" diameter with 220 tubes of 2" diameter. The engine was later destroyed in the collision occurring between Menheniot and St Germans early in the morning of 2nd December 1873 with the double headed goods drawn by 0-6-0STs "Brutus" and "Romulus". The authorisation "All right Dick" was given to the guard of a down train at Menheniot, but Lance`s guard was also called Dick and his train was started by mistake. The heavy down goods had already left St Germans and disaster was thus inevitable. The first passenger carriage is covered, whilst the second, just in view, is open to the elements. Photographer: Unknown.
© From the collection of the RIC