Skip to main content
[email protected]
Framed Pictures, Canvas Prints
Posters & Jigsaws since 2004

Joyce Gallery

Available as Framed Prints, Photos, Wall Art and Gift Items

Choose from 140 pictures in our Joyce collection for your Wall Art or Photo Gift. Popular choices include Framed Prints, Canvas Prints, Posters and Jigsaw Puzzles. All professionally made for quick delivery.


The Old Grammar School, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 18th April 1965 Featured Print

The Old Grammar School, Queen Street, Lostwithiel, Cornwall. 18th April 1965

The photograph shows the front elevation of the Grammar School in a dilapidated condition after years of neglect. Situated on Queen Street is a granite facade on which there is the Coat of Arms of Viscount Mount Edgcumbe and Valletort (Valletort being the title inherited on the death of a relative in Plymouth). This is the only remaining part of the Old Grammar School which was built by Lord Edgcumbe in 1781. The building was erected over the former Market Hall, with the upstairs intended for an Assembly Room and Concert Hall. However, became the Grammar Schoolroom instead. The Corporation paid twenty pounds per year, which enabled it to nominate six local boys to be educated free. The Grammar School closed in 1842, but schooling on the premises continued with a Writing or Commercial School until the end of the 19th century. It has had many uses since, including balls, concerts and meetings. Soup kitchens were run from the building in 1898-1899 and again during the Depression in the 1920s-1930s. Before the town had a cinema, silent movies were shown in the upstairs room and school children were taught the art of butter-making. The Sherwood Foresters were billeted there during the First World War and the Town Band later used the building for their practice room. The forecourt was used as a garage for repairs, car hire and petrol sales for over 20 years until the Second World War when it was used to billet US soldiers. After many years of neglect and disrepair, a redevelopment scheme provided sixteen flats for local senior citizens. This development retained the old facade and opened on 15th September 1981. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

Eagle House, Castle Street, Launceston, Cornwall. 1958 Featured Print

Eagle House, Castle Street, Launceston, Cornwall. 1958

General view of the frontage and part of the street, showing the eagles on the gateposts. A grand Georgian mansion, the house was built in 1764 for Coryndon Carpenter, the constable of Launceston Castle, using ten thousand pounds he had won in a government lottery. After his death it was briefly a very comfortable prison for naval officers captured in the Napoleonic Wars. The Cornish poet Charles Causley mentions the eagles in one of his poems. The house has been a hotel since the 1960s. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf

The Obby Oss, Padstow, Cornwall. 1966 Featured Print

The Obby Oss, Padstow, Cornwall. 1966

The May Day Obby Oss festival with the parade moving through the town. The Obby Oss is an integral part of the May Day celebrations in Padstow. Each year, on the 1st May, the town is decorated in greenery and the Oss (horse) parades the streets, followed by a teaser who holds a padded bat. The procession is accompanied by accordions, drums and singing. The fearsome Oss wears a large mask and swirling skirts under which he tries to catch young maids. Photographer: Charles Woolf

© RIC, photographer Charles Woolf